Pork jowl or Guanciale, is made from the cheek of the “Nero dei Nebrodi” pig. It is one of the main ingredients of Italian cuisine, especially in the central regions. It is a salami rich in lard, savoury and remarkably tasty. Pieces from 1 kg to 2.5 kg.
- 100% “Nero dei Nebrodi” pig meat
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Red chilli pepper
No added gluten.
- Salting: the meat is placed in tanks covered with layers of fine sea salt from Trapani, and is turned over every day to favour the equal distribution of flavour.
- Salt brushing: the excess salt is removed from the surface of the cured meat before moving on to the next phase.
- Spices: aromas such as ground black pepper and ground red chilli pepper are added to the external surface of the jowl, which are absorbed by the meat, giving it a more decisive flavour.
- Seasoning: the last phase involves the aging of the cured meat at controlled temperature and humidity, for a period ranging from two to three months.